Anime Boston panel applications close in three days and I haven’t submitted anything, due primarily to having very little in the way of ideas. This, in turn, is due to my declining anime wiewing over the last couple of years; there just hasn’t been anything since Madoka Magica which grabbed my attention to remotely that degree.
So this post is a place to brainstorm some ideas, maybe get some feedback if anyone’s interested. The obvious thing–a big panel on Ikuhara’s recent anime–I can’t do because that territory has been thoroughly staked out by my friend Jennifer. But there are ways I can still talk about it…
Anyway, here’s my ideas so far:
- Elephants, Penguins, and Bears, Oh My!: Animals and the Anime of Kunihiko Ikuhara: Exactly what it says on the tin, talking about the ways in which Ikuhara uses animals to represent personality elements and emotions his characters are unwilling or unable to express.
- Fullmetal Alchemy: A panel version of the post of the same name, highlighting the ways FMA uses/references the European alchemical tradition.
- Some kind of sequel to Apocalypse and Anime focusing on personal apocalypses, apocalypse as metaphor for character transformation–Anthy, Shinji, Homura
- Mayyybe a fifth Madoka panel, idk? If I do, probably focus on narrative substitution and dueling narratives.
- I guess Analyzing Anime 101, it’s been a year or two since I last did it?