A summary of the past week of posts to my in-character Star Trek Online Tumblr, chronicling the adventures of E.N. Morwen, a science-loving and thoughtful young woman trapped in a galaxy of warring space giants.
- Aiding the Deferi: In which the 147th helps protect the Deferi from Breen raids.
- Out in the Cold: In which the Phoenix saves some Deferi from Breen slavers, and Morwen figures out who is betraying her to Section 31.
- Rescue Deferi Captives: In which Jhimyn finds a novel way to deal with slavers.
- Cold Comfort: In which Morwen meets a friendly Breen and does some field medicine.*
- Cold Case: In which there is Adventure Archeology.
- Cold Storage: In which the Preserver Archive is opened.
- Defera Invasion Zone: In which someone worse than the Breen shows up.
As the flag officer of a fleet or tactical group, Starfleet regulations also require Morwen to provide a Fleet Status Report briefly summarizing the current status and mission of all ships under her command, every Stardate that’s a multiple of 10.
Also, I am still recruiting to found a new fleet (the STO equivalent to a guild), dedicated to roleplay and crossovers between people’s characters. Any Fed-aligned roleplayers welcome! Tentative premise is exploring the fact that we’ve pretty much all done the same story missions at different times, implying some weird temporal or parallel-universe shenanigans for us to investigate.
A whole new mission chain is dropping today, plus the best change since I started playing: they’re getting rid of Sector Blocks! For those of you who don’t play, Sector Blocks were artificial barriers (probably due to technological limitations back when the game launched five years ago) that split the galaxy into 20 or so small rectangular sections, with passages between them that required a confirmation dialogue and a load screen. Now the galaxy will be just three sections, corresponding to Alpha Quadrant (Cardassians, Bajorans, Deep Space Nine, all that good stuff), Beta Quadrant (Klingons, Romulans, the bulk of TOS), and Delta Quadrant (where Voyager happened). (There are a couple of missions where you enter the Gamma Quadrant too, but you never get to freely fly around in it, so it doesn’t need a map section. So far.)
Anyway, I’m excited, because Sector Blocks are the primary cause of my second-biggest criticism of the game, the fact that space feels small, crowded, and tamed. I’m hoping the new system will improve on that.
*Either this mission or the cold-puns mission chain in general originally had Tran joining your crew at the end, but at some point they dummied that out. Which sucks, because it turns “Cold Comfort” into a dangling plot thread that goes nowhere. Grr.