The Kickstarter‘s fully funded! Thank you all so much!
A summary of the past week of posts to my in-character Star Trek Online Tumblr, chronicling the adventures of E.N. Morwen, a science-loving and thoughtful young woman trapped in a galaxy of warring space giants.
- Empress Sela: In which Talana and the crew of the Shion travel into the past to try to stop Section 31 from altering history.
- Desperate Measures: In which Talana and the crew of the Shion race to stop the Tal Shiar from making a terrible mistake, and discover they’ve made some rather unsavory new allies.
- Shadow Play: In which an attempt to take a new friend home leads to the discovery of a destroyed world and a race to stop the same from happening to another.
- Taris Redux: In which Talana and the crew of the Shion restore history to something vaguely resembling its familiar form.
- Venture into Deep Space: Back in the present, Morwen and the 147th are assigned to the borders of Cardassian space, and things get awkward.
- Badlands: The Phoenix goes hunting for a True Way base in the Badlands, and Morwen encounters some familiar faces.
- Suspect: In which Morwen hopes she’ll get to do science for once, and it goes about as well as you probably expect.
As the flag officer of a fleet or tactical group, Starfleet regulations also require Morwen to provide a Fleet Status Report briefly summarizing the current status and mission of all ships under her command, every Stardate that’s a multiple of 10.
Also, I am recruiting to found a new fleet (the STO equivalent to a guild), dedicated to roleplay and crossovers between people’s characters. Any Fed-aligned roleplayers welcome! Tentative premise is exploring the fact that we’ve pretty much all done the same story missions at different times, implying some weird temporal or parallel-universe shenanigans for us to investigate.
“Empress Sela” through “Taris Redux” form an arc that’s experimental in a couple of ways–a few days of the blog in which Morwen doesn’t actually appear, with Cpt Talana taking main character duties instead, and it’s also my attempt to deal with the fact that mere days after I finished the “Romulan Mystery” arc of missions, a patch erased half the missions I’d done and replaced them with new content that more closely tracked with the events Romulan players experienced. Solution: do a time-travel story! After that, “Venture into Deep Space” is a new story arc that draws heavily on elements of Deep Space Nine, though other than the setting that’s not immediately apparent in the first few missions.
In other news, I recently discovered that the Reputation system, one of the game’s mechanics I didn’t really understand (STO is spectacularly bad at explaining to new players how to do things), actually has story-important stuff that introduces the two endgame arcs. I should note I found this out after finishing one of those arcs and getting four missions from the end of the other. And because the way the system works, it is impossible to complete that story stuff in less than a month. I think I have enough log entries to fill that time and still be able to insert the relevant Reputation missions before the endgame arcs, but if necessary I may slow the queue down to five or even four posts a day from the current six. Sorry!